This blog has moved! Please visit my new website:

Congratulations, Leah and Chris!

>> Wednesday, November 3, 2010


I've gotten a bit behind with sharing photos of my custom orders on the blog, but I have some great posts lined up over the next few weeks to showcase some wedding guest books, journals, and photo albums. I'm starting off with a book that might just be one of my favorite custom books I've made this year.


Leah asked me to make a wedding guest book for her October 16 wedding to Chris. She had some specific ideas in mind about the guest book, so we worked together to come up with a design that fit her needs. This book was slightly more involved than some custom orders, so it really gave me the opportunity to learn about the couple which made the process even more satisfying for me.

Most of my wedding guest books are made with blank pages, but Leah had envisioned something with designed and structured pages. The pages provided guests with spaces to answer specific questions about the couple and to draw pictures.


In addition to designing the question and answer pages for the book, I also created a series of original flower illustrations that alternate throughout the book. A lot of care was put into determining the order of the pages before binding to ensure that the book has a nice balance between the pages with text and the pages with the various illustrations.


The book was handbound using the Coptic stitch. I chose handmade lokta paper in blue and purple for the covers and the guards (the paper that wraps around the sections of pages and are visible on the spine of the book).


Their names and wedding date are featured in a recessed cutout on the front cover of the book. I also cut two bird shapes from blue paper and attached them to the cover, in keeping with their love bird and wildflower theme.


In the end, this book turned out exactly how I hoped it would, and Leah was quite pleased with it as well. Here is the feedback she left for me on Etsy after receiving her book:
"LinenLaidFelt made the guestbook of my dreams! It seriously came out amazing. I basically just rambled aimlessly about what my dream guestbook would be and somehow she captured it and made it a reality! It's amazing!"

4 comments:

PrairiePeasant November 17, 2010 at 4:14 PM  

Simply stunning! The colours are so vibrant, and I love the idea of the question and answer pages. Well done!

AshleyRae November 24, 2010 at 1:54 PM  

What a gorgeous book! I love the flower illustrations on the inside. You did a wonderful job and have quite a gift for book binding. The stiches and all-around craft of your books is perfection. I always felt Coptic binding to be the hardest one to master. Bravo!

Katie November 28, 2010 at 5:10 PM  

Ashley Rae, thank you for your kind comments and for taking a look at my blog. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed seeing this book.

Diana Maria November 28, 2010 at 9:51 PM  

Wow.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP